THANK YOU for purchasing the MINI 3rd Gen Union Jack Sunroof Decal Kit from CravenSpeed. This product is made from the highest grade materials, and is guaranteed to be free from defects.
- 1x Union Jack 1/4 Decal, Driver Side Front
- 1x Union Jack 1/4 Decal, Passenger Side Front
- 1x Union Jack 1/4 Decal, Driver Side Back
- 1x Union Jack 1/4 Decal, Passenger Side Back
- Denatured Alcohol (may sub isopropyl)
- Soft Lint-Free Cloth
- Glass Cleaner
- Utility Spray Bottle
- Dish Soap
- X-acto Knife or Scissors
NOTE: Installing vinyl decals may seem like an intimidating task, but we have developed this instructional guide to make the process much easier than it sounds. In the unlikely event your decal application goes awry, we offer one-time $5 mulligan kit on each purchase made directly through the CravenSpeed.com website. Just contact email@example.com for help.
Clean Sunroof Glass Surface and Surrounding Area
- Let’s begin by giving the sunroof glass of your MINI a thorough cleaning in preparation for the decals. Once the surface is dry, wipe down the area again with some denatured alcohol applied to a soft, lint-free cloth. (Isopropyl alcohol is an acceptable substitute)
- Take a utility spray bottle, fill it with water and add a couple small drops of dish soap. Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix up your soap/water solution and set it aside.
Prepare the Sunroof Decals
- If the decals have not been trimmed already, lay them face up on a flat work surface and trim them down to approx .250" (¼") around the perimeter of the decal with your x-acto knife or scissors.
- Next, set the trimmed decals onto the sunroof of your MINI to confirm overall fitment. There should be approx .250" (1/4") gap around the outer perimeter edges of the decals to where the glass ends at the rubber seal.
- Once you're satisfied with their fit and have an idea of how they'll be positioned when they're applied, set the decals back onto your clean work surface.
Apply the Sunroof Decals
- Wipe down the sunroof glass one final time with your soft, lint-free cloth and starting at one corner, peel the decal backing completely off so that the sticky adhesive side is exposed. Since all 4 quarters of the Union Jack decal fit at a particular location, make sure you've confirmed where each section you're working with goes and take care that nothing bumps into the adhesive side while handling the decal.
- Take your utility bottle and spray an even coat of your soap/water solution to both sides of the decal. It doesn’t need to be completely soaked… it just needs enough for you to be able to readjust the decal if you don’t set it down perfectly straight on the first try. Spray some of the soap/water solution onto the sunroof glass surfaces as well.
- Hold the decal up to it's designated section and lightly set it against the glass surface. Make sure you retain that consistent spacing all the way around the outer edges of the decal. The soap/water solution should give you the ability to either pull the decal up again or slide it around to line it up precisely.
- Once you’re pleased with its positioning, start from the middle and gently squeegee the soap/water solution out from under the decal. Use the soft, lint-free cloth to clean up any excess solution while you work the decal down.
- Once the first decal is completely positioned and squeegeed down, go around to the other quadrants of your MINIs sunroof and perform the same steps. This will give the solution time to evaporate a bit and allow the decal adhere to the surface. After you've applied the remaining decals, go back around to the first one and starting at a corner, begin to peel the transfer paper off of it. Pull the paper back upon itself at an extreme angle to minimize the potential of lifting the decal off the surface of the glass. If it does begin to pull up with the paper.. don’t be too concerned. Apply the microfiber side of the squeegee directly onto the decal and press it back down. Do not use the plastic edge of the squeegee directly on the vinyl as you'll risk scratching it.
- Once you have the transfer paper completely removed, inspect the decal for any creases or solution bubbles. In all likelihood, you’re probably going to have some areas that will need attention, so use the microfiber side of your squeegee to work the bubbles/creases to the edge of the decal and then soak up the solution with the soft, lint-free cloth.
- For pesky bubbles that don’t want to slide to the edge, try to combine them by pushing them toward one another and then piercing the vinyl with your x-acto knife. You should then be able to squeegee the solution out through this tiny hole. Any minor bubbles or surface imperfections that you can’t seem to eliminate should disappear over the next couple of weeks as the solution evaporates and the vinyl decal shrinks a bit. Leaving the car exposed in the sun will help speed up this process.
Congratulations… your install is complete! Stand back and admire your handiwork!