THANK YOU for purchasing the MINI Gen 3 Cold Air Intake from CravenSpeed. This product is made from the highest grade materials, and is guaranteed to be free from defects.
- MAF Intake Body (Aluminum)
- Air Box Housing Assembly
- Air Box ‘L’ Bracket
- K & N Rechargeable Air Filter
- (2) M4 x 12mm Stainless Steel Screws
- (2) Plastic Spacers
- (2) Large Washers
- ¼-20 x ½ Stainless Steel Button Head Screw
- ¼-20 x ½ Locknut
- Flathead Screwdriver
- 8mm and 10mm Socket and Ratchet Wrench
- T25 Torx Driver
- 3mm Hex Key Wrench
- 5/32 Hex Key Wrench
NOTE: Please completely read through all these instructions before starting the install of your CravenSpeed 3rd Gen MINI Cold Air Intake. Perform your work in a clean, well-lit, and level environment, and just to be on the safe side... disconnect the negative battery terminal and secure the cable out of the way. Let’s do this!
1. The first order of business is to get the air ducting out of the way. To find the intake duct, check out what our wrench monkey is pointing at.
2. Remove the (2) 10mm nuts holding the air ducting in place.
3. Remove the air ducting by unclipping it where it attaches to the filter housing and lifting it up and out. This part is also known as the Intake Muffler, so be prepared to make some noise!
4. You’ll need to remove this bolt using your trusty 10mm socket wrench. Once the factory air box is removed, reinstall this bolt for safe keeping.
5. Loosen the factory air box hose clamp. You will need to get this fairly loose, because you’ll need some stretch in the tube to fit the new CS aluminum intake.
6. Using a small flathead screwdriver, unlock the tab on the Mass Air Meter sensor connector, pinch the locking tab and pull. Be gentle and patient, as this tab is delicate and could potentially break if you’re not careful.
7. Separate the factory air box from the intake hose. It may be a tight fit, so it will probably take some elbow grease. There is also a wiring loom attached to the left side of the factory air box via a molded tab. Slip the rubber loom mount off of this tab and allow the wiring loom to just hang out for a bit.
8. Once everything is detached, remove the factory air box. There are 2 soft rubber sockets below the air box that anchors it to the car. Grasp the air box on either side and pull up while rocking it back and forth. It should release and come out without too much effort.
Voila! Le air box is out!
9. Remove the Mass Air Flow Sensor from the factory air box outlet with a T25 torx driver.
Yeah... this guy. Don’t break him as he’s an expensive little bugger to the tune of about 350 bux.
10. Install the Mass Air Flow sensor into the CravenSpeed Aluminum MAF housing and affix with the included M4 socket head cap screws and a 3mm hex key.
11. Place the CS Aluminum MAF Intake Body through the Grommet Bezel of the CS Air Box Housing, attach the K&N Filter to the curved end of the intake pipe and tighten the hose clamp.
12. Rotate the CS MAF Intake assembly so that the filter is angled down into the air box at about 45 degrees (see image) and set the entire assembly back into the cavity left after you ripped out the factory air box. Ensure that the ball connectors on the bottom side of the air box assembly line up and lock into the rubber sockets.
13. NOTE: This next step may be a bit of a juggle if you’ve disconnected your battery and still have the cover off, so let’s proceed as if the battery box cover is still on. Remove the 8mm screw on top of the battery box that is just to the left of the red positive terminal cap. If your air box has a bent tab attached to it, line up the hole in the mounting tab with the screw hole and reinstall the 8mm screw.
14. The CravenSpeed air box assembly may have a seperate L-shaped mounting tab included with the lot of parts. If installing the intake into an F56, utilize the included ¼-20 stainless button head screw and locknut and mount the tab to the backside of the air box assembly so that the short side of the mounting tab is on top. If installing into an F54 Clubman or F60 Countryman, mount the tab with the long side up.
15. Slip the intake hose back onto the CS MAF intake body, ensure your assembly has the proper rotation within the air box, and tighten the hose clamp.
16. Take the factory air ducting and remove the rubber bushing and metal spacers from the mounting points. Set the air duct back into place and use the included large washers and stepped bushings to reattach it. Place the large washer first then set the bushing into it so the stepped section sits inside the washer. Replace the 10mm nuts.
17. If you have not done so already, reconnect your negative battery terminal and replace the battery box cover. Plug in your MAF sensor wiring harness and set the locking tab.
Congrats! Your installation is complete! Make one last check of the engine compartment to make sure all connections have been made and that there are no stray tools left behind. Close the hood and start up your MINI. Drive Hard.