THANK YOU for purchasing the CravenSpeed Light Accent Decal Kit for the ND MX-5 Miata! This product is made from the highest grade materials and is guaranteed to be free from defects.
- Headlight Accent Decals
- Taillight Accent Decals
- Denatured or Isopropyl Alcohol
- Soft, Lint-Free Cloth
- Felt-Edged Squeegee
- Utility Spray Bottle
- Dish Soap
- X-acto Knife or Scissors
- Heat Gun
NOTE: Installing vinyl decals may seem like an intimidating task, but we have developed this instructional guide to make the process much easier than it sounds. In the unlikely event your decal application goes awry, we offer one-time $5 mulligan kit on each purchase made directly through the CravenSpeed.com website. Just contact email@example.com for help.
Prep the Vehicle Surfaces
Pro Tip: Do not attempt to install your decals in direct sunlight as the heat will soften the vinyl and make the process extremely difficult. A cool, shady location is ideal.
Let’s begin by giving your MX-5 a thorough cleaning in preparation for the accent decals. Once the surface is dry, wipe down the area again with some denatured alcohol applied to a soft cloth. (Isopropyl alcohol is an acceptable substitute)
Mix Your Decal Install Solution
Grab a utility spray bottle, fill it with water and add a couple very small drops of dish soap to it. Give it a good shake to mix up the solution and set it within arms reach for use while applying the decals.
Prepare the Decals for Install
- Lay out the decals on a flat work surface and using an X-acto knife or scissors, trim their perimeter down to within approx 1-2mm of the vinyl. Take care that you do not accidentally nick the decal.
- Bring the decals over to your MX-5 and set them against the surface where they’ll be positioned to check fitment. If for some reason the decal does not to match edges as close as you’d prefer, utilize some scissors and adjust the decal to fit.
Apply the Decals to the Car
- Set the decal aside and wipe down the body panel one final time with a soft, lint-free cloth. Peel the decal completely off of its backing so that the sticky adhesive is exposed, taking care that nothing bumps into the adhesive side while handling the decal.
- Take your utility bottle and spray an even coat of your soap/water solution to the adhesive side of the decal so you can re-adjust it if you don’t set it down perfectly straight on the first try. Spray some of the soap/water solution onto the top surface of the body panel as well.
- Gently set the decal down onto the body panel. Your soap/water solution should give you the ability to either pull the decal up again or slide it around to line it up precisely. Application is very similar to the water-transfer decals used by plastic model kits.
- When you’re satisfied with its positioning, use the microfiber side of a squeegee and begin gently move the soap/water solution out from under the decal. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to clean up any excess solution while you work the decal down.
- After the decal is completely squeegeed, give the solution some time to evaporate by continuing around the car and applying the remaining decals. Don't worry if there are some areas that are lifted and not sticking as we will address those sections at the end.
- Inspect the decals for any creases or solution bubbles. If you have any, use your felt-edged squeegee to work the bubbles to the edge of the decal and then soak up the solution with the soft, lint-free cloth.
- For pesky bubbles that don’t want to slide to the edge, try to combine them by pushing them toward one another and then piercing the vinyl with your x-acto knife. You should then be able to squeegee the solution out through this tiny hole. Any minor bubbles or surface imperfections that you can’t seem to eliminate should disappear over the next couple of weeks as the solution evaporates and the vinyl decal shrinks a bit. Leaving the car exposed in the sun will help speed up this process. Utilizing a heat gun on a low setting can also be very helpful in getting the decals to lay down in trouble spots.
Congratulations… your install is complete! Stand back and admire your handiwork!