THANK YOU for purchasing the The Miata Platypus License Plate Mount from CravenSpeed. This product is made from the highest grade materials, and is guaranteed to be free from defects.
- 1x Main Plate
- 1x Hex Stud
- 1x Miata Adapter
- 1x 10mm bolt 20mm length
- 4 ea Button Head Bolts
- 1x 10mm bolt 12mm length and nut
- 5/32 Allen Wrench
- Socket Wrench
- 7/8 Socket
- 17mm Socket
- Adjustable Wrench OR 17mm Open End Wrench
- Torque Wrench (optional)
1. Using your finger, or a plastic prying tool, remove the towing eye cover on the front bumper.
Take the cover completely off, and keep handy for later.
2. Install the tow stud into the towing eye receiver.
We intentionally machine these slightly oversized, so if it feels like it doesn’t want to go in just get a socket on the end of it and drive it in. The studs are aluminum which is typically much softer than the material in the towing eye receiver, so they cannot damage the car.
3. Insert the Miata adapter into the grill space below the tow eye and then rotate upwards.
Install the 17mm bolt to hold it in place, insuring that the rubber bumper on the adapter is in solid contact with the flat surface behind the grill.
4. Reinstall the tow eye cover.
5. Check for clearance, and install the back plate. The back plate bolt hole tab is angled so that the back plate will form to the shape of your bumper, and will only install one way. If it doesn’t look right, rotate 180 degrees.
Hold the back plate up to the adapter and finger tighten the bolt & nut by hand.
Secure the bolt with the socket and the nut with your adjustable wrench or 17mm open end wrench. This bolt needs to be snug to prevent the plate from coming loose or rotating, almost as tight as you can get it with a standard socket wrench.
6. Install the license plate with the four included button head screws.